BoxTrapper functions as a spam filter for email addresses. The filter works through “challenge-response” verification. When an email is sent to an account that has enabled BoxTrapper, a verification email is automatically sent in response. This verification email requires the original sender to reply to the verification request, leaving the subject line intact. When the reply is received, the original message will be delivered to the intended recipient’s account.
The goal in enabling BoxTrapper is to block BoxTrapper emails that will not reply to the verification email.
To enable BoxTrapper:
• Click BoxTrapper under the Mail heading.
• Select the appropriate email account by clicking the Manage link next to the account.
• Click the Enable button.
Note: When BoxTrapper is enabled, even when automatic whitelisting is disabled, any email address that you send email to will automatically be added to the whitelist, allowing email to be received from that address without an authentication process.
By clicking Configure Settings, you can enable BoxTrapper for your email address. Enter all addresses forwarding mail to this account into the Email addresses going to this account box, separating them with commas.
It is also possible to define how many days to keep logs (overviews of all messages sent to your account) and messages (sent to your account but not yet delivered). This input value should be a positive whole number.
Automatic whitelisting can also be enabled or disabled using the appropriate checkbox. When automatic whitelisting is enabled, senders who successfully complete the verification process will not need to complete the verification process again when sending you email in the future.
Once you have entered all of the information, click Save.
Edit Confirmation Messages
Verification and blacklist messages can be customized using cPanel. It is also possible, using the Reset to Default button, to return the auto-response messages to their default settings.
Edit White, Black, and Ignore Lists
This feature allows the BoxTrapper lists to be edited manually.
To edit the lists:
• Select the link to the list you would like to edit.
• Key in any information you would like, including messages, subjects, and email addresses.
• Click Save.
• The Whitelist contains a list of addresses and subject lines that will automatically be allowed past the filter.
• The Ignore-list contains a list of addresses and subject lines that will not be allowed past the filter.
• The Blacklist contains a list of addresses and subject lines that will not be allowed to pass the filter. This option will also automatically send a customized warning message to the sender.
Email addresses that are added to the forward list will receive white-listed email as forwards automatically. Key-in the email addresses to add them to the forward list. Remember to click Save when making changes to the list.
You can view the BoxTrapper log through cPanel’s interface. This log is organized by day and will show any activity associated with an email address that has BoxTrapper enabled. This can be useful for isolating problems with email delivery.
Using the cPanel interface, you can view any BoxTrapper mail waiting for verification. This can improve email receipt times, since you can manually view and approve messages. You can find mail in the queue using the following tools:
• Keyword Search: Searches can be filtered using the appropriate drop-down box and selecting Sender, Subject, or Body before entering a keyword. Selecting 1 of the 3 search filters causes the function to search only that section of each email for the keyword, decreasing search times.
• Viewing by Date: By default, the mail queue shows today’s messages. You can view different dates by clicking the previous or next day’s date, displayed above the queued message list.
BoxTrapper also allows you to deliver or delete mail from the mail queue screen:
• Click Check All to select all messages received on the selected day, or Uncheck All to deselect them.
• Click Delete or Whitelist & Deliver.
• Click the Submit button.
To see the contents of a message:
• Click the email’s sender, subject, or date. cPanel will display the entire message, including headers, and provide more delivery options—for example, you can ignore or blacklist a sender.
• Select the desired option.
• Click Go.